Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Tau Codex?

Jayhawker215

New Tau Codex?

I'm sorry if this question is a little behind the time, but I couldn't find it in previous posts. Is it true there is a new Tau Codex coming out? If so, does anyone have any idea why?

1)Yes
    2)Because GW wishes to and Tau sell well to 12-year old anime fans.\

For informations on the lastest rumors concerning this codex, check out the warseer forums.www.warseer.com/forums

3. Homeworld Senior Member  #3
    Yes there is a new Tau codex comming out sometime late this month or early next month.

Reason is I hear, because the Tau performed well beyond expectation in the first campaign they participated in. They are also quite popular as a 'new race' to warhammer (released in 2000, weren't they?) and as a result even old players are collecting the new models.

So GW decided to put money where it's profitable... the 12 year old animefans geckos are talking about join the space marines side. All the Tau players in my area are as old as I am (19-20) or are well in their 20s-30s.

Jayhawker215
    So if I were to consider starting a Tau army in the next month, should I wait for the new Codex? Will it change a lot of things I mean?

5. Homeworld Senior Member  #5
    That's what I asked myself...

Basicly, ask this question: How often do you see yourself playing a Tau army in the comming month? Then ask; how often will you be using someone else's codex?

I thought about holding off until the new codex came out, but then when it came to building army lists I wasn't getting anywhere, so I bought one of the current codexes to figure out how I was deploying my army, even before the new releases came out.

So if you can't wait to play and want to get an army going for some experience, go find a current codex. If you can wait and want to finish off painting your army or whatever, wait for the new one. In the end it's only $20 for the new codex, and from what I hear even existing units get benefits that don't require changing the models (Slow and purposeful for Broadsides as an example).

I'm told the new codex has much of what was in the last one, but again I wanted to get playing immediately instead of rushing a list together when I was only in the store.

Jayhawker215
    I mean starting as in starting from scratch...

M0thra
    Apart from the cost of buying two codex's, there's no reason not to start looking at Tau now. There's some new models (new upgraded stealths, 2 new vehicles, Vespids) and I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me!) that the Crisis suit is being altered due to the fragility of the current one around the ankle joints, but in terms of gameplay, it's more cleaning up niggles and tweaking units then anything revolutionary.

Don't expect the new codex until March 1st though - and thats the European release, the US one might be a week or so later.

8. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #8
    I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me!) that the Crisis suit is being altered due to the fragility of the current one around the ankle joints
    Nope, this problem sadly remains unchanged. Luckily it doesn't really affect me since I think the GW suits are complete ass anyway. Get a nice ForgeWorld one instead. Twice the price, but well worth it.

The codex is due out around March time, with the addition of new units as mentioned above (Piranha light vehicle, Skyray missile platform, Vespid 'Marine Killers' (lol), Sniper Drone team), as well as some unit upgrades such as supposedly allowing full carbine loaded Fire Warrior squads, the ability to give 1 of every 3 stealth suits a fusion blaster (useless upgrade by the way) and an additional hardpoint upgrade, supposedly full pathfinder teams with railrifles, much much better markerlight rules, new wargear for battlesuits and revised rules for drones (since they are crippling in the current incarnation), some revised vehicle upgrade rules, 2 new special characters and probably some other stuff I can't remember at the minute.

The battlesuit commander boxed set (basically a battlesuit with the new command options sprue) and the new ethereals will be out when the codex is released, with the sniper drone team and rail rifle armed pathfinders being released shortly after. New stealths are due out around the time CityFight II comes out (summer kinda time period), with the other bits filtered in between the official launch of the codex and the stealths in the summer (who I imagine will be the last of the new releases).

Think that about sums it up.

Piccolo
    No reason not to buy the current codex now, heck look for a used on at alot of the online trading sites.

Then just start working on the small core of your army. Probably a safe bet that even after the new dex that having Fire Warriors will be a good idea. Pick up a crisis suit or 2 and probably a safe idea is a Hammerhead.

If there are new HQ only chocies for crisis, a solid rumor right now, and you want those down the line, your current ones can simply become elite slots.

Rail-Head is probably not gonna get any worse in the new dex so is a good buy and well Fire Warriors are your core troops, with or without D-fish transporting them.

10. Homeworld Senior Member  #10
    Ap0k- I've been told late Jan early Feb for the new codex release.

It's not just the crisies that are getting a makeover... so are the Kroot and firewarrior boxes. According to the GW staff, the warehouse stock is in the negatives. Since I think one of the new rules is allowing the ability to equip firewarriors entirely with pulse carbines, the sprues have to be redone to accomodate this. Not sure what the Kroot are getting, but it seems the Krootox and Kroothounds are now treated as modifiers to a kroot squad, rather than seperate class choices.

Dvalin
    Early March is a bit more accurate. From Alliance games, the US release/distribution date for the Tau codex is March 13th. Presumably, the Army Deal will be made available in late February, as such.

Further -- the modifications you're talking about are to the box art. From all that I've heard, there won't be any modifications to the actual fire warrior or kroot sprues. While some rules are changing, this is mostly to the effect of giving Tau players more options, not massively revamping the list and models.

12. Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    So they have to stop an entire production line just to change the cover of the box?

Piccolo
    just which "GW staff" are you sourcing here. red-shirts are about the WORST source of info for GW products.

14. Homeworld Senior Member  #14
    Even black shirts?

Strange that I should trust some random source on the internet instead of a Games Workshop employee.

Piccolo
    black shirts are the same. I am not saying trust me or anyone else more than someone you know. But is has been seen in writing from some of the distributers what the release schedule is and new boxes of Fire Warriors and Kroot are not listed on the release schedule. It would be quite odd to replace the core units and not have the new ones hitting the shelves at the same time as the codex.

Dvalin
    Yep. It's also been noted that GW is standardizing its WH40K packaging -- using photoshopped pictures of the models, instead of original artwork. One case where this has been seen (at least in the UK, and I've not checked if it's in the US yet) is with a change to the Crisis Suit boxes from the familiar guns-akimbo art to something photoshopped. The contents didn't change -- merely a graphic on the packaging. Presumably, this is what was mentioned by the staffer -- that there's been a delay in the boxes, so that they're timed more or less with the new codex.

..oh. Best place to check for rumors? The Warseer.com news and rumors forum. Ace stuff, there. Brimstone and Inquisitor Engel seem to be the ones with leads into the studio -- Brimstone with some proof, given how he pulls pictures out of his magic hat of new models that noone else has seen: proof being the first released pictures of the new Stealth Suits, Eldar Rangers and Nurgle Demon Prince, likely among others.

Jedi_65
    Thats not all, there will be adding new units and the Codex wont be called just "Tau" like the current one it will be called "The "Tau Empire" :skull: :skull:
    Last edited by Jedi_65; 15th Jan 06 at 3:46 AM.

Shas’ka t suam
    the new codex is being relised because:
    1: it shows the tau expanding (as they have been notified to do it quickley)
    2: more off there forces are being seen and new things are being invented my the earth caste
    3:the army is very popular due to the game tau firewarrior.

Sword Munkeh in Spaaaace Sword_Monkey's Avatar
    HACHAA! - http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpe...00/default.htm

And may i say WOWZA at the new Tau commander suit, that be a nice Demiurg engineered Ion.....rifle on his arm.

But he isn't as curvy as Shadowsun (but thats probly cos SHadowsun is female)

Piccolo
    actually Shas’ka t suam, they are getting a new codex becuase they are a race that

A: sells well
    B: isn't marines so provides a change of pace between marine releases
    C: good chance to add more chocies for existing tau players since the current dex is kinda thin.

Jayhawker215
    Wow, those ethereals look awesome. In fact, all of those look awesome. Those are going to be fun to field.

The Power of Nothingness NeoHunter's Avatar
    The new Ethereals looks too tribal. I hate the new ones.

I will definitely be collecting Commander Shadowsun and the new Tau Crisis Suit Commander miniatures. Not too sure about the new Stealth Suits though. I still prefer the older XV15 Stealth Suits that I have now.

Account Suspended
    And may i say WOWZA at the new Tau commander suit, that be a nice Demiurg engineered Ion.....rifle on his arm.
    Sword monkey: from the rumors I heard, that wont be an Ion rifle, that'll be an Assault Cannon type rending Tau gun....it's supposed to be sooo cheesy that only commanders can get it.

24. Homeworld Senior Member  #24
    A rending weapon for the Tau? Interesting.

I'm not a big fan of the vespid models, and the only reason I'd get them is probably for the nice template weapon they're getting. The etherials are a meh... and the Sniper team and Shadowsun are definate pluses.

Dvalin
    By all reliable accounts, the weapon will not be rending. Instead, it will be S3, AP5, assault 5, with any to-hit roll of 6 having AP1, exactly like the ranger longrifle rule from the Eldar codex.

Shas’ka t suam
    The new ethreals look too priesty, Khemri lookalikes any one?, the tau sighn on the chest of the one with the staff looks like a scarab beetle, the only wone that i would get out of them is the one with the speary sort of thing but im going to buy the old one to put in my empire army anyway

Slickwilly - how come it looks like an ion cannon but smaller then?

Hence ion rifle, plus thee is another commander gun which looks odd too, that meybe the render.

M0thra
    There's two. That one is the Ion Blaster, which works Dvalin notes above, and the other is an airburst frag launcher - think direct fire frag pie plates.

Wow i kind of missed Dvalins description - thats amazing rules, and crazy too. jesus christ.

Red/blackshirt rumours are great fun to listen to. They will get to look around at new stuff, but not be told what it does and so take their best guess. This then gets passed around amongst staff who take the bits they like the sound of, then embelish on them.

Shas’ka t suam
    yeh, sorta like the vespid commanders helmet that people keep saying is a mind controll device but the staff hav actually admitted it is not, it is just a translation helmet

deathikins
    Don't forget the pie plates ignore cover saves.

It would actually be worth going against the Tau rules Piccolo made with those Ion blasters, after all a twin linked assault 5 weapon with the possibilty for AP1 is very nice.

And the 'pie plates' are interesting, hand held flak cannons. Good against Harlequins, and other nasty cover save creatures.

34. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #34
    You won't be able to TL the speciali issue weapons, since you can only ever have one per army, thus not allowing you the 2nd one needed to twinlink.

Piccolo
    Don't start talking about going against rules when the rules will probably change a bit with the release of the new dex.

And besides if the weapon was decent enough it might end up like the torgoch suit and be a good exception to the rule.

Red-shirt rumors are funny since most of them don't play the game very well either.

what Ap0k is saying is the rules that have been leaked so far, the Ion blaster will be a special issue weapon, (1 per army) so you can't twin link it by purchasing another one.

see past posts about redshirt bashing for all my current coments about it...
    its not cool to generalize.

Also for a couple clarifications...

The vespids gun will be STR5 AP3 12" range assault 1...
    the current rumor about the Cyclic Ion gun are still just rumors, whether they are like ranger rifles or rending remains to be seen...

More cool stuff to look foward to...

possible fusion blaster upgrades to Stealth Suit squads(not confirmed totally),
    The SkyRay is def in the codex and wil be recieving a plastic kit just like the piranha...
    Certain XV8 crisis suits will be getting the ability to deepstrike.

the special characters...
    Shadow sun,
    Aun va,
    and good old, never use him farsight is back...

more to come...
    Current Projects - Alpha Legion
    Chaos Marines Squad finished, Rhino done, Lord Painted, and Defiler in progress.

38. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #38
    possible fusion blaster upgrades to Stealth Suit squads(not confirmed totally),
    It has been confirmed. 1 in 3 can upgrade. You can also see the fusion armed one in the stealth pics brimstone has on warseer.
    Certain XV8 crisis suits will be getting the ability to deepstrike
    They can already deepstrike, but there are rumours that the pathfinder d-fish will have some type of deepstrike aiding homing device thing. No ones quite sure on the specifics yet though I think.

M0thra
    It allows a squad deepstriking into LoS of the Devilfish to re-roll it's reserves roll. IIRC if you do this, you cannot roll any further reserve rolls that turn.

Jedi_65

Railgun scouts rules?

Any one if there are any rules about the Tau scout with a railgun, any one?
    :skull: :skull:
    Last edited by Jedi_65; 17th Jan 06 at 4:10 AM.

41. Homeworld Senior Member  #41
    I wonder... would these new stealth suits also be new fluff-wise?

As now they are a customizeable armament unit instead of something static like before.

Hi all

I'd like to get a Tau codex (Not a TT player but a little bit of an anime fan, hey I'm not a teen either) but don't want to spend a lot of money. i.e. second-hand stuff gimmi gimmi gimmi.

Where is the best place online to buy second-hand Tau codicies?

Cheers fellas

E-bay. And, the new 1 isn't out yet.
    There one moment, and there the next.

From what i can tell the new stealths are supposed to be xv25's as opposed to the current xv15's
    WE'RE ABOUT TO WITNESS AN INVERSE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE NUMBER OF STAB WOUNDS I INFLICT ON YOU AND THE NUMBER OF ANSWERS YOU START GIVING ME

45. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #45
    Black Scottish Cyclops Brother Wolf's Avatar
    So the questions is, does that mean 2 versions of the Stealth in the codex, (XV15 and 25), side by side or do the new XV25's replace the existing ones? As a player who has often had units taken away from me when GW changes a codex, I would personally be quite pissed if I have 12-18 of them and GW suddently decides, "you can't use those anymore".
    W00T! Yarrgh-book 2010 (shameless)

TT on C-A-D,
    01Dec to 15Dec '10 (most current story arc)
    06Feb, 26Mar to 29Mar '08. Bowling ball, FTW!
    30Oct to 11Nov '06
    Warning: Forum, LOL.

My bet is that GW will say that the new suits replace the old ones.
    The Tau are represented by a bunch of 12 years olds that have just walked in with Uzis telling everyone that they know best.- Fixer
    Visit my thread! Player Finder/Index
    For anything Tau, visit Piccolo's Tactica

47. Tabletop Senior Member  #47
    Fluff-wise, the new suit will probably replace the old one. However, I bet that rules-wise they will just be stealth suits, all with the same rules. It's like the different marks of power armour. Unless their weaponry becomes illegal the old suits will be perfectly playable and even if their weaponry does become illegal the they will be able to count as the standard armament of the new models. The precedent for this is the old Guardians with lasguns counting as shuriken catapults.

This page is best viewed with Netscape Navigator

Ciryaquen
    As far as I'm concerned GW can tie a knot with it. The new stealth suits are lame and the old ones rule, so I'm sticking with the old ones.

49. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #49
    You can take XV15's or XV25's in the codex. Both part of the stealth suit 'unit', but one having options the other doesnt. The points and stats will be the same. As far as I can tell, the only differences are the actual models, and the fact that XV25's can take 1 in 3 Fusions, and the ability to take hardpoint upgrades (at cost). I'd guess that something or other might make it more or equally advantageous to go with the old XV15's, but I personally will be snapping up 18 of the new XV25's unless there is something else to contend for my elite slots.

Overall, theres nothing to suggest that you couldn't have XV15's and XV25's in the same list (although obviously as seperate units). Brimstone has confirmed that they wont be phasing out the old models.

I wouldn't believe everything Brimstone says. I'm not saying he's wrong in this instance, but he's come out with some utter rubbish in the past. Nothing's fact until its published...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information