Land Raider Patterns and Variants?

Knight_of_Old

Land Raider Patterns and Variants?

Hey guys I was browsing through my BT codex last night and I saw that there were two patterns of Land Raiders that I had never heard of. They were the Demos and Phobos patterns. Does anybody know how these vary from the regular LR and the Crusader? Is there rules for them or any info? If so where can I find them?

toaae
    The different patterns come from Forgeworld and it's Imperial Armor books. They are pretty cool, but hard to get.
    Last edited by peer; 25th Feb 06 at 7:23 PM. Reason: cough

Specifically Imperial Armor: Volume 2. Now you don't have to buy all three of the massively overpriced books.

Knight_of_Old
    Ive seen the Prometheus and Helios Versions from Forgeworld, yet I never have found a Demos or Phobos, yet I have never peared into the Imperial Armour book. What's the difference? Different weapons? What?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way.

No rules on those variants anywhere that I know of. Probably a fancy name for the original Raider or some such (the horridly ugly WWI reject).

FetidMurai
    The Phobos Pattern is the name for the standard pattern Land Raider.

Land Raider MkII is the horrid old 2ed one I think. Or at least based on what Turn Signals says..
    "In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make." ~Paris Hilton

8. Tabletop Senior Member  #8
    Beer Drinking Bomb Dropper Exetus's Avatar
    Demos and Phobos are simply the pattern names, much like having a Lucius Pattern or Mars Pattern Warhound Titan. The Demos or Phobos would be your regular variant of the Land Raider, then you have the Crusader, Helios and Prometheus.
    I've taken my signature back!!!

... but I've got no idea what to put here now...

I've faced a Land Raider Prometheus...

I was playing Orks and the LR Prometheus is covered in heavy bolters.

It did not end well for me.
    Ultramarines, Orks, Chaos, Tyranids, IG, Daemons

Gromash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Collector
    Land Raider MkII is the horrid old 2ed one I think. Or at least based on what Turn Signals says..
    i always figured that was the mk1 (since the kit hadnt changed since RT) and that the mk2 was the one from Epic 40k

GW uses the term 'pattern' inconsistently, sometimes it refers to a specific weapon loadout, sometimes it refers to a different hull design

11. Tabletop Senior Member  #11
    Beer Drinking Bomb Dropper Exetus's Avatar
    I have a Prometheus and against horde armies it does pretty well with the 4 twin-link heavy bolters. It's even better when you are playing DH and use consecrated bolter ammo for it against a horde of gibbering lesser daemons. Plus the ability to reroll one failed reserves roll per turn is nice.

M0thra
    Don't forget the Spartan as well. A landraider designed to drive through walls and deposit marines safely inside the enemies fortifications. Never seen it outside of really, really old WD's - but think a landraider with half a Rhino glued to the front.

I want to see a land raider with a turreted demolisher on. A proper FiBUA APC

there is an article on the uk site that is kind of interesting on the development of the current land raider. blaesa is quite correct when he said it is a wwI reject, it fits the part perfectly.
    Space wolves
    Wins:0
    Loss:5
    Draw:0
    The dice gods hate me......really hate me....

Gromash
    i seem to recall there was a bit of art in the Space Marine 1st edition rulebook (or possibly Codex Titanicus) that had an RT style Land Raider with no sponsons or heavy bolters, instead it had a pair fixed Leman Russ Exterminator sized Plasma Cannons strapped onto the top of the hull, i'd love to see a 40k version of that

16. Tabletop Senior Member  #16
    Professional Gunman Dooks Dizzo's Avatar
    I have a stupid question, can you use the various patterns (prometheus for example) without your opponents permission?

Why the hell would you use a LR any way...

18. Forum Subscriber  #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooks Dizzo
    I have a stupid question, can you use the various patterns (prometheus for example) without your opponents permission?
    You need permission to use all Land Raider patterns except the standard one and the Crusader patters. As all the other patterns are in the IA books and you need your opponent's permission to use IA models, the answer is 'No'.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsumpot
    Why the hell would you use a LR anyway...
    Agreed.
    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

toaae
    because it's one of the coolest models in the game.

And makes for a very charcterful army.

ironclawed1
    Scribble you can find one already the Thor pattern land raider!

A guy a few years ago was making them for his Crimson fists army from waht I can remember it had a modified leman russ demolisher turret on top, and heavy bolters on side ah la the prometheuse and a single twin lascannon in hull very cool.

A charitable army that won't live for long.

A land raider does have its uses, you know. Not many, but it isn't ENITRELY pointless.
    1) They are capable of drawing a large amounto fire that would be better served being redirected towards the rest of your army. They provide a measure of psychological pressure on your opponent. I have benifited from this several times.
    2)They ARE AV 14. They are quite capable of delivering a command squad or terminator sqaud succesfully into close combat, while providing a degree of fire support simultaneously.

Why the hell would you use a LR anyway...
    Good question. Now I know that Geckos is saying Land Raiders don't have many uses, I'm saying they don't have ANY. 3 reasons why...
    1) The firepower they can out out is worse than that of 2 las/plas squads.
    2) They represent what COULD have been 2 Predators, 3 Land Speeder Tornadoes, 2 tactical Squads, etc, being destroyed by a single lucky lascannon shot. The 'psychological pressure' it puts on makes your opponent quite capable of knocking off 1/6 of your army (assuming 1500pts) with their anti-tank. They do still have anti-infantry guns to fire at you, though...
    3) And finally...
    When someone sees a land raider, they don't think 'oh no, a land raider!', they think 'yay, a free 250 victory points!' They are below suckage.

very lame.

Now gecko, i'm going to give you another question:

Why the hell would you take a Terminator Squad in a LR?

FetidMurai
    Why the hell would you take a Terminator Squad in a LR?
    Bunch of Terminators packed in a Land Raider = Tomb Raider.

I don't get it.

on the other hand, the Land Raider is a moving tomb.

FetidMurai
    I don't get it.
    A Land Raider is a moving tomb.

Thanks for making me explain it.

It wasn't that obivous...

29. Tabletop Senior Member  #29
    Professional Gunman Dooks Dizzo's Avatar
    And popsumpot turens another thread into a spam fest.

No, seriously, why would you take a Terminator Squad.

FetidMurai
    No, seriously, why would you take a Terminator Squad.
    What has this got to do with Land Raiders?

What has this got to do with Land Raiders?
    probably because people take termie squads in land raiders.

Pops, terminators allow you to lay down a hell of a volly of firepower each turn, they also allow you to commence ownage in CC. the LR just offers protection until they are in range to unleash hell on the enemy.

Thread Information