Convert Hammerhead to Devilfish Easy?

Convert Hammerhead to Devilfish Easy?

Does the Tau Hammerhead have all the necessary pieces to convert it to a Devilfish? (E.g. Burst Cannon and Pulse Carbine Drones)

Are the pieces modular enough to easily go from a Hammerhead to a Devilfish and back again without having to drill holes in the model?

I'm thinking it is wiser to get a Hammerhead instead of Devilfish. That way I can transform between the two different vehicles depending on the game.

M0thra
    Looking at the unbuilt one in front of me, it's lacking the drones & a spare burst cannon for the chin. It does have two burst cannons, for the secondary weapons system, so if you were going to use SMS with the hammerhead as a secondary, you're alright there. I suspect you can find two spare drones from one kit or other.

Typhoon GX
    What's the point though when you can get a Devilfish boxset for cheaper?

4. Tabletop Senior Member  #4
    It's kinda convenient to change one from another between games when you need it.

Personally, I'll say you better stick to one or another, but if you want a Devilfish, you may want one with SMS, depending on situations.
    LET THE GALAXY BURN!! IRON FOR THE IRON GOD!
    Arise, my Iron Legionnaires!!
    Only argue with me about 40K gaming after reading this, about Tau after this, this and this, and about Space Marines after that.Remember!

omega the end
    Yes, esentally a hammer head is a devil fish with a little turrent stuck on top so all you have to do is pop it of and get to playing. And I'm sure you have at least two spare gun drones floating around there somewhere

Omega's right, except for the chin-mounted burst cannon. Not sure how you'd make it possible to switch from targetting array to burst cannon, since if you don't glue the little chin turret, it keeps popping out.
    Look at the bright side, kid - you get to keep all the money.

7. Tabletop Senior Member  #7
    Here's a guide to teach you to do so.

8. Tabletop Senior Member  #8
    Professional Gunman Dooks Dizzo's Avatar
    I saw a really nice conversion using magnets. It was like a transformer, one minute it waas a Fish, the next a hammerhead.

Here's a guide to teach you to do so.
    That guide requires drilling holes.

Getting gun drones is not a problem. I have six of them now.

Does anybody know if the Piranha burst cannon will fit in front of the Hammerhead's main gun?

omega the end
    Tape? Just tape the front mount thing on when you want a devilfish then when you want a Hammerhead just make the neccesary adjustments then tape the mount back on...

Sure its tacky and all but its a much more cost effective means to solving your predicament than going out to buy other minis.

After 3 weeks of playing and regular watching Tau players, I still can't tell the difference between a devilfish and a hammerhead, other then one has a giant scary gun.
    I am NOT crossOnion
    Originally From MooFreaky
    Just because a n00b can't pick up the army and use it does not make it weak!!

Underground Mars: Poking a sleeping C'Tan
    Looks like you got it Cross... That is basically the only difference.

13. Child's Play Donor  #13
    I nearly always swap the burst cannon for the SMS on the devilfish, which I also take as the secondary weapon system on the hammerhead. As long as you are prepared to pay the extra points, just put SMS on and leave the burst cannons off. Or you could have the burst cannons for both...
    (Retired)
    Tool - Relic Audio Converter (for DoW1)
    Tool - Dawn of War 2 Mod Launcher

It should have occurred to me sooner.

Is it legal to bring a converted hammerhead to devilfish model on the tabletop in the first place?

15. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #15
    Black Scottish Cyclops Brother Wolf's Avatar
    So long as all the parts are available, why wouldn't it be? By the time I'm finished, (many moons from now), I plan to have 4 Devilfish and 3 Hammerheads, any of the 7 may be hot swapped from Head to Fish and from Ion to Rail at a whim.

Mmmm, magnets.
    W00T! Yarrgh-book 2010 (shameless)

TT on C-A-D,
    01Dec to 15Dec '10 (most current story arc)
    06Feb, 26Mar to 29Mar '08. Bowling ball, FTW!
    30Oct to 11Nov '06
    Warning: Forum, LOL.

The Power of Nothingness NeoHunter's Avatar
    I recently heard that the new Sky Ray box set has enough parts to make either a Devilfish, Hammerhead or a Sky Ray. And all for the price of just a Hammerhead I think.

but it has a different turret to the hammerhead
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal..."Relic yearbook

This is a follow up to a previous topic.

I bought a Tau Sky Ray last week and I can confirm as to what parts are in the kit with these photos below.

Unopened box
    Inside the box
    Landing Gears
    Engine
    Main Body
    Front Page of Manual

Yes, I can confirm that the Sky Ray does have the Hammerhead parts.

Plus you get the Sky Ray spurce.

The instruction manual shows you the different way to build a Devil Fish, Hammerhead and Sky Ray from this kit.

The manual gives you step and step instructions for each vehicles like the Devil Fish.

To summarize what you can build with the Sky Ray kit.

Sky Ray - Yes
    Hammerhead - Yes
    Devilfish (From what I can tell you get the burst cannon, but not the gun drones)

omega the end
    Thank you

20. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #20
    Well I'll be damned! If I had known that at the time, I would've bought a Sky Ray instead of a Hammerhead just for the sake of argument. Still, I suppose as soon as the Sky Ray sprues are available, I can just grab one. No need to get another seeing as I already have 3 Fish/Heads and the bitz to swap accordingly for all three.

Well I'll be damned! If I had known that at the time, I would've bought a Sky Ray instead of a Hammerhead just for the sake of argument. Still, I suppose as soon as the Sky Ray sprues are available, I can just grab one. No need to get another seeing as I already have 3 Fish/Heads and the bitz to swap accordingly for all three.
    That's quite a haul you got there.

Where did you get all those XV15 Blisters?

22. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #22
    The War Store, where else? I really didn't care for the XV25's, (and now that I have 6 of them, I REALLY don't care for them), so I pushed Neal to track some down for me before they were no longer available. It was a stretch, but he pulled it off for me, so I have enough for 2 full squads and extras to make Fusion Gun options, (not that I'm likely to use them often). The XV25's are being carved up to add flair to my XV8's.

Sorry for the temporary hijacking. I'm actually stoked that I might be able to pull of a possible 3 way conversion Fish/Head/Ray.

Thread Information