Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Worst Forum on the Internet? (non perverted)

The Worst Forum on the Internet? (non perverted)

While perusing the net for some information for a biology paper I had to write last month, I came across what I think in my experience is the worst forum on the internet. It's a site on human cloning, and seems to be quite official, having bagged the name "The Human Cloning Foundation" to sound as if it stands for something. The reason why I think it is the worst forum I have ever seen, is because it contains the worst sterotypes of forum goers, and has practically no administratory prescence.
    At first glance you will see the thoroughly cubist approach to forum layout, which looks like the family tree of some 18th century French noble. Then there is the inane subject matter being covered in the threads, far removed from the purpose of the forum.
    The sterotypes are pretty classifiable as per that comic artist (i forget who) who made charicatures of all the forum and IRC personalities.
    A few I saw were:
    Christian Soldier - self explanatory
    Belloid - rabid athiest/ultimate logician
    Logan H/Kyle (might be same person :allnight - troll
    Lonley_inoccent455 - ditzy idiot girl

See if you can identify any more and share similar forums.
    Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
    -Winston Churchill

Kuscheltier
    I have a solution for your problem. Enter the following to your hosts file:
    127.0.0.1 humancloning.org

Or just never bother again with that site.

Welcome to the Internet! (I always wanted to say this).

Erm, i don't like the forum and I already know how to do that, but i was just saying, that this forum is awful on so many levels, thanks for reading the thread...
    Welcome to the Internet!

4. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #4
    Welcome to the internet, to the mere mortals it looks like a small but lush and pleasant island with a big yellow R hovering above it, surrounded by a terbulant stormy ocean of bodies and groaning voices all slithering and writhing in their own ignorance and misery.

Worst layout I've ever seen.

Originally posted by Slainna: If they made a clone of me and I had sex with her, would I be masturbating?
    I want to stop laughing but I can't.

7. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #7
    You guys have obviously never visited the Blizzard forums.

8. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #8
    That site is nothing compared to World of Warcraft's official forums.
    My Interceptor is better than your Interceptor.

<Hyperian> yes treb
    <Hyperian> teach me how to be a player like you
    <treb|coffee> 1. learn to dance 2. be yourself 3. treat them as friends
    <Hyperian> those dont work

I said non-perverted, if we want hands down perverted then I'd ask No Surrender.

Megatokyo.com forums
    battle.net during starcraft prime

But nonthing compares to
    worldofwarcraft.com

12. Tabletop Senior Member  #12
    But if you had sex with your clone, that would be incest and homosexuality.
    I <3 internets.

Siguld_001
    Although not as perverted as some of the forums starring in Something Awful's weekend web (although that whole cloning yourself and having sex with it is pretty weird), that has to be the worst forum layout I've ever seen. Exactly as Aussiemoo says, reminicent of an 18th century French nobles family tree

Hey back in the day that used to be the norm forum layout! Hell that used to be pretty damn snazzy infact!

15. General Discussions Senior Member  #15
    ryo: It used to be the standard because they were emulating NNTP (USENET) news groups and that's how the threaded groups are organized. It used to also be the standard for the dial in BBS because it was the easiest way to navigate such a system without a mouse (same goes for USENET) using a console reader (which was the standard). Now however we have moved far beyond that and no forum that has any sense of design should use such a layout. It's easy to navigate such a design using a text based reader but it's a pain in the ass to navigate with a mouse. It's a lot easier in a graphical web browser to use a system like the one we're using right now where you click a thread title and all replies apear below the original post.

I can't believe no one said every counterstrike forum on the planet.
    AKA: LoneStranger, lonestranger or some other variant.

Just visit SomethingAwful.com's Weekend Web feature every Sunday and you'll see the worst of the web. Join the SomethingAwful forums for the best community out there.

This must be some definition of "best" that I'm unfamiliar with.

Thank you for expressing your frustration related to this forum about cloning, Aussimoo. It was most usefull.

Also, I once encountered http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...?action=t&fn=2

A forum filled with (pompous) "intellectuals" talking about things without having any knowledge. It was most rewarding to find out that they flame you and blame minorities when you prove that they're wrong.

I introduce you to BROTRR Alliance

Click this link and your IQ will drop instantly.

Oh and YOUR WINNER!!!

I once encountered a forum for psychopaths. It was mainly composed of HIV positive people (POZ in their lingo) who considered themselves to be anointed and spent the bulk of their time scheming of having unprotected sex with unwitting victims to spread the disease. There was also a smaller contingent of non-POZ people who, strangely, also considered the POZ people anointed and schemed of ways to have unprotected sex with them in order to get the disease (to become converted). There was even talk by parents of "converting" their own children.

How it survived for so long, I don't know. It's definitely a crime to knowingly spread a lethal virus.

But that, I must argue, is probably the worst forum on the internet.

The highlights of that forum can be seen at the end of this SomethingAwful Weekend Web - http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3866 (NWS/NMS). Spawned one of the biggest threads I've seen on SA.

the world of warcraft forums are pretty bad. Everyone there has an E-peen the size of a skyscraper. The YTMND.com forums are really bad in terms of sickness, disgutingness, etc.

Thanks guys, my eyes are bleeding again.

24. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #24
    Ohh, actually battle.net is even worse. Remember when they tried to attack us?

BeserkWraithlor
    You guys have obviously never visited the Blizzard forums.
    I go there all the time. I spam and troll daily. Theres a weekly spambot that takes up 20 pages of the forums! Even the mods are scared of the members!

edit:This forum though, has helpful and feared mods, and we always follow the guidelines. I love this forum. :luff:
    Last edited by BeserkWraithlor; 20th Jun 06 at 3:35 PM.

Klaus88
    Ok I got to hear more about battle.net. How exactlly did they attack the relic forums again?

EDIT: Ok that forum with the HIV people sounds extremely awful.

The Offical Lucasarts forums were awful before they got full-time moderators, common flame wars, spam, re-posted topics, spam, and people pretending to be LA employees. And when THE mod (yes THE mod, there was only one) showed up and banned a few rule violators, the forum pretty much rioted!

It is not as bad now... but still...

I once encountered a forum for psychopaths. It was mainly composed of HIV positive people (POZ in their lingo) who considered themselves to be anointed and spent the bulk of their time scheming of having unprotected sex with unwitting victims to spread the disease. There was also a smaller contingent of non-POZ people who, strangely, also considered the POZ people anointed and schemed of ways to have unprotected sex with them in order to get the disease (to become converted). There was even talk by parents of "converting" their own children.
    Sorry, I call bullshit.While its perfectly possible I still refuse to believe that its more than a myth untill presented with evidence. Its too much of a vampire spin off otherwise.

A176 WINS THE THREAD!

/me ages.

Gaia Online is probably the worst forum on the internet, though the Blizzard ones are pretty bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by ranathari
    Just visit SomethingAwful.com's Weekend Web feature every Sunday and you'll see the worst of the web. Join the SomethingAwful forums for the best community out there.
    GBS can be pretty awful at times but yeah. I mostly just read Games and Creative Convention. Well worth the :10bux:

BeserkWraithlor
    I see many members of this forum has seen the taint and evil of the Blizzard forums.

Edgier than a black katana Shuma's Avatar
    Worst layout I've ever seen.
    You have obviously never visited the Games Workshop forums man.
    Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

Salty
    Aye. Confusing layout or what? That place is baaad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribble
    Sorry, I call bullshit.While its perfectly possible I still refuse to believe that its more than a myth untill presented with evidence. Its too much of a vampire spin off otherwise.
    Which I provided in the post right underneath his. Do you have me on /ignore or something?

The forum's been taken down now but here is a sample of posts from it (scroll halfway down the page and then keep going through all the rest of the pages.

Ranathari that is possibly the strangest,freakiest,SICKEST thing i have READ on the internet. WHY HASNT anyone tried to stop them?

VERY VERY awful. Do they want to spread it to everyone?! Or are they gender specific? Horrible anyway!

Ya the Battle.net forums are pretty stupied with constant trolls and extremely lazy mods. World of wacraft forums i didnt think were TOO bad [but i havent been on it in months so].

Currently this is possibly the best Forums iv ever been on. Good mods, nice big community and well organised.

36. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #36
    ...and when the Kamas flow... Afoxi's Avatar
    I read a few pages of that and i feel like puking. >_<

37. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #37
    Since I received requests via PM, I shall now tell the grand tale of the short-lived forum war between us and the battle.net forums. Gather around the campfire.

It was a sunny day in relicnews land - birds chirping, dogs pooping, people were arguing about imba and other stuff.
    Suddenly, a new user posted a thread with a warning. Apparently the guys on one of the battle.net subforums had decided to launch a spam attack against us.

I went over to their forums and had a look. Good lord, worst fucking forums ever. Thread titles included "MY FIRST TIME" (and yes, the thread delivered what the title promised), 50 instances of the same thread complaining about WC3 imba, and "<username> is a {cheater, faggot, dipshit}".
    Upon opening the linked thread I saw that those guys routinely attacked other forums. They had linked to another forum they had previously raided, which happened to be a Hermione fan forum (yes, I wtf'ed as well). I followed the link, and saw what such an attack looked like.

Basically what happens is that they register a bunch of usernames and then start posting goatse, tubgirl and other shit, both as links and as pictures, along with forum-specific threads such as "I WANNA FUCK HERMIONE" and other crap in this case.

A quick conference was held in the MOD CASTLE OF DOOM (tm). Everyone attended, even pike, but that was only because he happened to be sleeping on the conference table. Despite his snoring we agreed on a cunning strategy.
    Dyntheos simply turned off new user registration, making it impossible to register a new account.
    Two of their idiots already had accounts here and started spamming, but I had both user profiles open and kept refreshing the "find all posts by" search and deleting their posts. Other moderators did something similar. They made about 10 posts each before they were banned, none of them survived longer than five minutes.

At the same time we monitored the thread over at battle.net, where they quickly lost interest and gave up after discovering that our defenses were too strong.

We informed the b.net admins of this encounter, and I contacted the hermione forum admin and encouraged him (her?) to do the same. However nothing came of it, which was to be expected, mainly because those forums are an unmoderated pile of shit.

Well, that's the story. The next morning registrations were reactivated, and we have never heard from them again.

Wow, bathetic to say the least.

39. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #39

BeserkWraithlor
    Funny Story Moe, since I know about the battle.net forums, they always complain about balance issues and imba like us, but they make the same issues every day. The mods get flamed, so they don't like to talk to the members. The b.net forum mods NEVER lock a thread, they just "postwipe" which deletes every thread in the forums to clear the spam and flaming. They also like to trick people by showing shock sites (tubgirl, hai2u).

As many forums they waged war on and spammed, the Relic Forums have a powerful defense, and our starfleets shoot down spammers with our ion cannons and ban sticks. It seems that our moderators are actually useful unlike most forums.

41. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #41
    Moe that story should be sticked in the Newcomers section to show the difference between our mods and Bnet :P it may stop a few "u mods r hitler" threads

http://spinningplatesmusic.blogspot.com/ - My Blog
    "The book of love has music in it, in fact that's where music comes from, some of it is just transcendental, some of it is just really dumb"

BeserkWraithlor
    The Relic Mods are in no way "dictators" or "hitlers", they are starfleet commanders.

43. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #43
    I always like it when Moe tells stories.

44. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #44
    We demand more stories!

Forum raiders are interesting.. here's our account from one member at SWRebellion (not sure if he posts here, but I felt since its been posted on our forums already...)

At first, I was scouting this site [swrebellion.com] for a raid. basically, a group of people were planning to come hear and cause havoc until peple either A) Quit posting altogether or B) We all got banned several times.

Thankfully for al of you guys, I grew to like this place, so I found them a different target. That site still doesn't allow new members to join.
    > You really do this kind of stuff?!

Yes. We don't do it very often anymore, as we basically lost interest. But every once in a while, we get the urge, and some poor forum somewhere suffers.

The last raid we launched was on a support forum for woman who had miscarried. Cruel, tasteless, and in complete disrespect of everthing pure and good in the world. But they had a live chatroom full of targets, and hearing them cry over the mic was hilarity to the Nth degree.
    Webmaster of SWRebellion.com
    SWCIC Administrator

Wow, that's awful, internet anonymity gone wrong - it brings to mind that famous bash quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash.org
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
    if only there was a way...

Yes. We don't do it very often anymore, as we basically lost interest. But every once in a while, we get the urge, and some poor forum somewhere suffers.

The last raid we launched was on a support forum for woman who had miscarried. Cruel, tasteless, and in complete disrespect of everthing pure and good in the world. But they had a live chatroom full of targets, and hearing them cry over the mic was hilarity to the Nth degree.
    Between that and the post by a man asking for AIDS carriers to gang rape his son I decided to dedicate the rest of my life to exterminating the human race.

48. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #48
    Well the AIDS guy is obviously mentally ill, whereas this guy from the SW forums is merely a fucking asshat.

Reading them links effectively destroys any trust/love left for mankind in me, even though it was little to begin with. While I'm a practising practical joker meself, the raid on the support forum was disgusting, I hope they rot in hell's hell for eternity, that sort of behaviours brings bad cred to the real and respectful jokers. :cranky:

I'm seconding Scribble's motion, if you ever need any right-hand man helping out, don't hesistate to call me.

This is why i included "non perverted" in the title, but it seems that the internet manifests itself wherever it pleases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information