Directed Writing Workshop Four

1. General Discussions Senior Member  #1
    terrible, terrible damage Starfisher's Avatar

Fiction Directed Writing Workshop Four

Direct Writing Workshop Four

Format:

I will give you a sentence or a topic. You will write it down using your favored writing medium, and continue the story. No matter how blank your mind is, you must write something.

If you find that the original sentence doesn't fit the story you have written, excise it. The point of the topic is to be a spark - once your on fire you no longer need the spark!

NOTE:You are NOT required to include the sentence in the story. It's only supposed to be a starting point - if you move away from it and it's no longer relevant, you can remove it.

Submit your entries to this thread. July 20th is the deadline - ONLY SUBMIT ENTRIES. There will be a criticism thread opened at 11:00pm (23:00) GMT, on that day, for comments and criticism. Until then, gather your thoughts.

You have a week! Use it wisely. Write something down, walk away for a day, and then come back to it. Remember, the hardest part of writing isn't getting the first draft. It's every draft after that. It's honing your work into something worth reading. We're working on both with these workshops, so don't just write something and then fire it off. Put some time into it.

I'm dropping the current enrollment and list of shame, since I think they've been proven to have little effect on actual submissions. However, since I missed last week thanks to real life, it's only fair to keep myself on the wall:

WALL OF MEGA-SHAME
    Starfisher

Without further ado...
    (This is a sentence. Finish it then continue the story!)
    This week's topic:

"I wanted to apologize..."

Sholto
    I won't be doing this one - going on holiday :blow:

Sholto

Yays my little story. Hope y'all like it, if not tough nookies.

Meef Story

Err... yes. This particular story isn't exactly finished. Call it a testbed for an idea more than anything else- depending on how I see it later, it may or may not be expanded to the degree it needs. Once again, my long established characters, this time mixing company with a newcomer.

My Story

Quote Originally Posted by n0z
    Generally I find posts can be short, long, super long, or Andkat long. I tend to read the first three categories.

My wierd, badly-done little thing.

* Sevorak prods it.

my wierd little thing.

So here's my thingy. I don't like it that much actually, I'm not that confident with dialogues and expressing people's feelings, which I tried here nontheless. Well without practice I won't get better huh? critism highly welcome of course.

my little thingy

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power.
    Noblesse oblige.

ⅩⅡ

It's late, and it's short, and it's unpolished, but hell, it's here.

Spoiler

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 24th Jul 06 at 10:54 AM.

8. General Discussions Senior Member  #8
    terrible, terrible damage Starfisher's Avatar
    Ok, I think submissions have dwindled enough to justify a break. Directed Writing Workshop will return in August, on, say, the 24th.

I'll make the crit thread for this cycle and then step back for a bit. If any of you have thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc about this workshop, please leave them here so they can be weighed for the next series!

The first thing I'd say is that this is a really good idea! It's a good excuse to get us writers busy and with the chance of some good feedback to boot, which might not be seen in individual threads.

My comments would be that perhaps the openings are a little too open- the problem for me at least is that after the first workshop, which is when I deliberately challenged myself to do something unusual for me, I've been rather sticking to my "comfort zones" with regards to setting and style. My last piece is the worst example of this, in that I basically scribbled down the latest idea on my mind rather than anything relevant. I don't know whether you want to start being more specfic about a piece's genre or style, to get us to try new things, or indeed whether that might further reduce the submissions. I guess the easy answer is for me to use some discpline myself.
    Last edited by Lestaki; 23rd Jul 06 at 1:14 PM.

This was a great idea. And I also think that a break is a great idea as well.

The workshop, though it gives the writer some obligations to fulfill, frees him from so many others. This period has been, for me, fun and very fruitful, each topic generating dozens of tangential lines of thoughts and suggesting as many other stories. Which is why, I think, a break is a good idea.

The writing workshop is a good thing to write stuff you usually don't write, though I'm really new, it helped me a lot already. Though it's sometimes a pain in the ass to write something you'd never write yourself, but that's the whole point.
    Definately looking forward to the next one.

Thread Information